Hi, my name is Bruce Warren and this is my “About” page.
Some Velvet Blog was born on December 31, 2004. Wanting to experience and engage with this new community of music fans, I leaped right into blogging and discovered a new fan-driven cultural movement that excited me. It still does, hundreds of posts and interactions with music fans later. The name SVB was inspired by “Some Velvet Morning” by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra. It was the song I was listening to when Blogger asked me for a name. It just sort of worked at the time. I could go on about how Blogger shut down my blog because of DMCA violations, but I won’t. For now, wordpress is my home.
Some vital statistics:
– I am the Assistant Station Manager for Programming at WXPN in Philadelphia where I am in charge of all the local and national programming and digital media. I am also the Executive Producer of World Cafe a show that I proudly helped start & launch in October 1991.
– I have been in public radio/public media for 20 years. I was once quoted in a trade magazine saying “I will never work for commercial radio.” I meant it.
– You can follow me (or not) on twitter here
– You can become my friend (or not) on Facebook here
– You can read my Some Velvet tumblr here
– I wrote a book called Wisdom For A Young Musician.
– I teach Radio Management at Drexel University and Social Media And The Organization at the University of Penn in the Organizational Dynamics Masters degree program.
– I have a wonderful, amazing wife and two boys who have re-taught me the joys of Top 40 music.
There’s a legendary DJ in Philly who I grew up listening to named Jerry Blavat AKA The Boss With The Hot Sauce & The Geator With the Heator. He was and continues to be a huge inspiration to me. He’s got this great saying, which is: “Keep on rockin’ cause you only rock once.” Every day that goes by I try to live that commandment to the fullest.